By Fergus Millar
Read or Download A Study of Cassius Dio PDF
Best medieval books
Envisaging Heaven within the heart a while bargains with medieval notions of heaven in theological and mystical writings, in visions of the Otherworld, and in medieval artwork, poetry and track. It considers the effect of such notions within the secular literature of a few of the best writers of the interval together with Chr?
The good helmsman, the watchdog of the folks, the drugs the kingdom wishes: some of these photos originated in old Greece, but keep the potential to persuade an viewers this present day. this can be the 1st systematic research of political imagery in historic Greek literature, historical past and idea, tracing it from its visual appeal, inspired by way of close to jap precursors, in Homer and Hesiod, to the tip of the classical interval and Plato's deployment of pictures just like the helmsman and the general practitioner within the carrier of his political philosophy.
This revered introductory paintings starts with an summary of script kinds, the old evolution of writing, and the tools utilized in medieval German manuscriptology. subsequent, it illustrates the method of constructing a codex. the ultimate part describes how manuscripts have been commissioned, past possession, and the later medieval background of German manuscripts.
- Anglo-Saxon Medicine
- Livy: History of Rome, Vol. I, Books 1-2 (Loeb Classical Library: Latin Authors, Vol. 114)
- Scholia Vetera in Pindari Carmina, Vol. III: Scholia in Nemeonicas et Isthmionicas, Epimetrum, Indices
- The Poetics of Old English
- Chaucer and Medieval Estates Satire: The Literature of Social Classes and the General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales
- Cultural Reformations: Medieval and Renaissance in Literary History
Extra info for A Study of Cassius Dio
See TCS 7 (1940), 141-3 and Welles, Fink, Gilliam, The Excavations at Dura-Europos. Final Report V. 1. The Parchments and Papyri 6 (New Haven, 1959), 209. 78. 20. 4 (425). 7 8 So Keil, op. cit. 8 f. 80. 1. 2-2. 1 (474). 9 These dates are suggested by Jagenteufel, op. cit. 94. 1 A reputation for disciplinary severity had preceded him from Pannonia, and such was the hostility of the praetorian cohorts that the Emperor allowed him to spend the two months of his consulship outside Rome. 4 Here he brings his History to a close, and if he lived to see the armies of Severus Alexander pass through Bithynia on the way to the East in 2315 he does not record it.
Gesch. 2 (Bonn, 1956), 120-2. 2 Ibid. 127. 3 On the leading figures in the senatorial reaction see H. G. Pflaum, Le Marbre de Thorigny, Bibl. Éc. Hautes-Ét. 292 (Paris, 1948), A. Stein, 'Le Marbre de Thorigny', Eunomia 1 (1957), i , a n d P. W. D. 238: the Leaders and their Aims', TCS 14 (1955), 49, on pp. 83 f. 4 5 80. 5. 2 (476). See pp. 108 f. 6 On Pannonia see P. Oliva, Pannonia and the Onset of Crisis in the Roman Empire (Prague, 1962), and J . Fitz in A. Arch. Hung. 14 (1962). 7 80. 1. 2 (476).
1. 2-2. 1 (474). 9 These dates are suggested by Jagenteufel, op. cit. 94. 1 A reputation for disciplinary severity had preceded him from Pannonia, and such was the hostility of the praetorian cohorts that the Emperor allowed him to spend the two months of his consulship outside Rome. 4 Here he brings his History to a close, and if he lived to see the armies of Severus Alexander pass through Bithynia on the way to the East in 2315 he does not record it. Such was Dio's career, so far as it can be traced.